News:

PRODUCERS & OTHER FORUMS SITES: Please note - you MUST HAVE A RECIPROCAL LINK back to this site is you wish to ADVERTISE your site on this forum. If you do not have a link back to us, we will remove your posts with immiediate effect - 25th April 2010

Who Are These People?

• 3 Replies

Offline rin753

• God Member
Who Are These People?
« on: December 30, 2023, 04:29:31 PM »

My 9 part story, THE DINER, had a good run 2 years ago and then left the first page and settled into expected dormancy with all the other stories on pages 5 or 6 or 10.

But then a new member found it, and bumped the first Chapter to the front page.  It got a few more nice comments and a couple more likes, probably about what you would expect.

What I don't understand, is that each day this old story gets hundreds of new views.  Who are these people? They never leave a comment and they don't click like.  The first chapter is up over 10,000 views.  Do you really think there are that many people into this niche "hobby'?

I'm sort of baffled by it.  Maybe Nutmeg or someone else in the know can explain?  Who are these people?

Offline sinclairfan

• God Member
Re: Who Are These People?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2023, 04:37:40 PM »

My 9 part story, THE DINER, had a good run 2 years ago and then left the first page and settled into expected dormancy with all the other stories on pages 5 or 6 or 10.

But then a new member found it, and bumped the first Chapter to the front page.  It got a few more nice comments and a couple more likes, probably about what you would expect.

What I don't understand, is that each day this old story gets hundreds of new views.  Who are these people? They never leave a comment and they don't click like.  The first chapter is up over 10,000 views.  Do you really think there are that many people into this niche "hobby'?

I'm sort of baffled by it.  Maybe Nutmeg or someone else in the know can explain?  Who are these people?

Facebook has 3 billion monthly active users.  YouTube has 2.5 billion.

The U.S. population is less than 0.4 billion.

So..... it's a big world out there, even if you just count people who are proficient-ish in English.

Offline Nutmeg

• YaBB Administrator
  • God Member
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2023, 07:29:50 PM »

Few thing to consider: The lack of likes and comments compared to views is easy to explain. The number of guests viewing the site are usually more than the number of members on the site at any one time. SO a lot of people reading your story can't comment or leave a like. If all they want is to read why become a member?

Also some people read every updated topic in a section. So someone leaves a comment on your story, they read the thread. You thank the person for their comment , they read the thread. Your post could be new content or maybe they are missing some internet drama.  Still a view

Or they are rereading it. Or they aren't sure if they read it before and only one way to find out.

Point is, don't think of these views as UNIQUE viewers. For all we know 1000 could be you trying to recall what you wrote :)
The world would be a better place if men had the same fear of sexual violence that women live with. My condolences to the families of 90 percent of male catfight fans.

Offline rin753

• God Member
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2023, 09:23:35 PM »
For all we know 1000 could be you trying to recall what you wrote :)

Thanks Meg for your response.  Most of it is enlightening, except for this last part, which I categorize as "highly doubtful."  :)

But I wasn't aware that you could read stories without joining.

Rich